Welcome back Guest!MARSH is a private reefing group. Comments and suggestions are encouraged, but please keep them positive and constructive. Negative threads, posts, or attacks will be removed from view and reviewed by the staff. Continually disruptive, argumentative, or flagrant rule breakers may be suspended or banned.
It started out as a little green dot on that "rock". I got the tank in July from a co-worker, who got it from another co-worker that left town. No one really knows what that started out as.
Someone on another forum suggested merulina coral. I researched that type of coral, and concluded there is no way I could have kept that type of coral alive in my tank. I'm just now learning how to dose. and the nitrates were over 400 in July when I got it.
I took a water sample to the pet store for testing before I moved the tank. They told me it was over 400ppm. Everything was covered in algae. I got the nitrates down pretty quickly, but it took a few months of fighting the algae. I got rid of the canister filter and went to a protein skimmer w/a diy refugium. This free reef tank I got last summer has cost me a sack full of money since then. lol
That was my first thought as well, but I can't imagine any of those growing that much in 5 months. My hitchhiker Lobophyllia spent many years looking like a mushroom before it started folding in on itself to look like a Lobo.
I also agree it's definitely not a Merulina - it doesn't really look much like one and they are quite challenging to keep and would not grow that fast.
The live part in the first picture looks very similar to a Pectinia I have that almost completely died when my tank leaked, but the skeletal structure looks quite different.
Whatever it is, it's pretty cool-looking. These kinds of surprises are one of the best parts of the hobby for me.
the second one (top left corner of photo) started as a little pin head size green dot. I'm actually kind of proud that I have done well enough for them to grow that much. Although that was short lived because I think I shot the alkalinity through the roof. Started a kalkwasser drip two weeks ago, but did a big water change and I think the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt was such that I should not have continued the drip right after the WC. One of the leather corals started shedding for about 10 days, but I think it is ok now. I have one colony of zoas that are still pretty upset about something.
I was trying to get the dkh to around 9, but it went to almost 11. oops.