• Welcome back Guest!

    MARSH is a private reefing group. Comments and suggestions are encouraged, but please keep them positive and constructive. Negative threads, posts, or attacks will be removed from view and reviewed by the staff. Continually disruptive, argumentative, or flagrant rule breakers may be suspended or banned.

LitzmanMarine’s Clownfish Breeding Room

LitzmanMarine

Supporting Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2013
Location
Kemah
#22
Looking good man! Love those long fins! Get those things makin babies!! lol
Give me about six months to have babies that can be sold. They have a super low percentage of producing longfins even with two longfin parents. Believe it is about a 25% chance of producing long fins, and a 75% chance of regular black ice clownfish.
 

LitzmanMarine

Supporting Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2013
Location
Kemah
#23
Ich broke out in the QT tank...despite having treated them. Lost two of the Storms. Pretty sure they were additionally stressed due to being the smallest two and during transfer to a clean tank they ate it. The other storms show no physical ich but were not looking hot. Moved them into their clean tank. Dropped salinity to 1.012 and increased temp. One of the longfins had the worst of the ich, did a freshwater dip and moved them into another clean tank, salinity 1.012 and increased temp. The remaining storms still seem lethargic, but the longfins were super active this morning and greeted me at the glass. Looks like the female shed a bunch of the ich after the freshwater dip. Going to keep treating them and hopefully see them recover. 50% water changes and hyposalinity for two weeks.

This really snuck up on me. I check every tank in the morning, at lunch and several times at night. Yesterday I was worried about getting my student's coursework graded and didnt check them until the evening and I've never seen ich show up so strongly in such a short period of time. Lesson learned and I'm going to stick to only QTing a pair at a time from now on.
 

LitzmanMarine

Supporting Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2013
Location
Kemah
#26
The longfin female seems to enjoy freshwaterdips and will let me pick her up and place her into the dip. Long fins are also eating again but have some significant scarring on their fins. The storms are eating but are fairly lethargic still. Everyone is breathing heavy but not nearly as heavy as before.

Planning to move some breeders into the rack this weekend as well.
 

Reefahholic

Reef Junkie T.V.
Supporting Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2014
Location
League City
#27
Ich broke out in the QT tank...despite having treated them. Lost two of the Storms. Pretty sure they were additionally stressed due to being the smallest two and during transfer to a clean tank they ate it. The other storms show no physical ich but were not looking hot. Moved them into their clean tank. Dropped salinity to 1.012 and increased temp. One of the longfins had the worst of the ich, did a freshwater dip and moved them into another clean tank, salinity 1.012 and increased temp. The remaining storms still seem lethargic, but the longfins were super active this morning and greeted me at the glass. Looks like the female shed a bunch of the ich after the freshwater dip. Going to keep treating them and hopefully see them recover. 50% water changes and hyposalinity for two weeks.

This really snuck up on me. I check every tank in the morning, at lunch and several times at night. Yesterday I was worried about getting my student's coursework graded and didnt check them until the evening and I've never seen ich show up so strongly in such a short period of time. Lesson learned and I'm going to stick to only QTing a pair at a time from now on.
Sorry to hear that. Are you sure it’s ich? Any pics so that we can confirm for sure.?
 

LitzmanMarine

Supporting Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2013
Location
Kemah
#28
Sorry to hear that. Are you sure it’s ich? Any pics so that we can confirm for sure.?
Definitely ich. Hyposalinity and freshwater dips and it all fell off. Water changes and 1.012sg for six weeks. Fish are active and eating now. If it was velvet the hyposalinity would not have helped.

No pictures, didn’t take any at the time and it’s all cleared up now. Fish even regained all color on their fins.
 

Reefahholic

Reef Junkie T.V.
Supporting Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2014
Location
League City
#29
Definitely ich. Hyposalinity and freshwater dips and it all fell off. Water changes and 1.012sg for six weeks. Fish are active and eating now. If it was velvet the hyposalinity would not have helped.

No pictures, didn’t take any at the time and it’s all cleared up now. Fish even regained all color on their fins.
Glad to hear they’re doing better!
 
Joined
Mar 19, 2013
Location
Kemah
#30
Update, everyone is doing fine. Moved two pairs of breeders into the fish room. I expect itll take a month or two for them to adjust to the new environment.

I picked up three 70 gallon tanks from steveb yesterday and have sanded down the stand and painted it. Will be moving this into its spot in the fish room this afternoon. This system has two of the 70s split into two compartments (~33g/each) and one that is split into four compartments (~16.75g/each). This system will be used for my maroon and tomato clowns, 33g for the breeders and the 16.75g for the hatching/fry growouts. This thing is massive. 95" tall and 48" wide. The lighting on this will actually be Ocean Current USA lights thanks to a snafu by Amazon that resulted in me receiving multiple lights for a previous project. My current breeding pair of lightning maroons will stay in my 50g lowboy with their horde of sea anemones so this new system will be for new comers.

Also picked up a new surprise designer clown today but thatll be for update reveal as I plan to use this to create my own line of designer clowns. He is in QT.

What does everyone think of running hyposalinity in the QT for the first six weeks? No sign of sickness just thought I might start lowering the SG over the first two days down to 1.012 and then leaving it just as added protection. Thoughts?
 
Top