- Jun 5, 2017
- Reaction score
MARSH is excited to announce that we have teamed up with the awesome Aquarists at Moody Gardens in a first of its kind cooperative for Texas reef clubs and hobbyists!
Many of you over the years have enjoyed spending the day at Moody Gardens for a backstage tour. If you joined us on our last tour, you may have noticed many new additions following their renovation period, part of that renovation included a brand new 2,000 gallon Coral Reef exhibit. Many of you have even expressed a desire to help Moody Gardens re-stock and grow out their coral exhibit. We are excited to announce that we are starting two campaigns to help MARSHians do just that!
Many of our MARSHians have “wet” thumbs. Their corals grow at insane rates and find that they are constantly having to frag them. Sometimes we choose to sell those frags, while others can’t seem to give them away for free. If this describes you, perhaps you would consider participating in Campaign #1, “Let It Grow!”
Some of us have insane success at growing one particular coral. Maybe no one can grow bubble coral, Zoa’s, or Monti’s quite like you can and folks are always asking you what your secret is. If this describes you, perhaps you could consider participating in Campaign #2, “Grow Out Challenge!”
The team at Moody Gardens is committed to doing their part to help conserve our natural coral reefs. Ryan H., Moody Gardens “Coral Guy” will be joining us here on MARSH. Please feel free to ask him questions! Ryan will be following along and chiming in on our campaign threads. This will allow him to watch the corals that will in 6 months time, be donated to Moody Gardens. He can keep track of the husbandry methods for each coral, growth rates, parameters, and maybe even learn a thing or two from our local hobbyists.
A Couple of Important tid-bits
· You do NOT have to be a supporting member to participate, these campaigns are open to all! We want to help Moody Gardens Coral Exhibit be a success, which means that this is an all hands
· Participants in Campaign #2 will be limited to the number of frags we have available. These frags are being donated by our some of sponsor LFS stores and members.
· All participants will be asked to post bi-weekly photos of their corals/frags as well as post bi-weekly readings. This will not only help Ryan in preparing to receive the corals, but will also be helpful
in allowing our volunteer “experts” with offering advice and suggestions to our participants. After all, we want EVERYONE to succeed!
· You don’t have to participate in either campaign to donate! Ryan has a tank ready to go for holding corals. If you have corals that you would like to donate now, they would love to have them!
Please let a member of the BoD know and we will make arrangements with the team at Moody Gardens for you to receive a personalized tour. You will be able to walk through the intake process,
ask questions, see where your corals will go, and learn more about their QT process.
· Large Colonies are welcome! As you can image, a 2000gl tank has a lot of open space to fill and they would love to add a few larger colonies to their exhibit while the smaller ones continue to
grow and mature.
For more information about the different campaigns or to sign up, please refer to their individual threads. Each thread will also contain more campaign specific details.
We hope that you are just as excited about this new relationship as we are and welcome Ryan and the crew at Moody Gardens to the MARSH family!
To Access the "Let it Grow" thread click this link...http://www.marsh-reef.org/marine-and-reef-general-discussion/55615-let-grow-campaign.html
To Access the "Grow Out" Challenge thread click this link...http://www.marsh-reef.org/marine-and-reef-general-discussion/55616-marsh-grow-out-challenge.html
Last edited by a moderator: